Monday, February 23, 2015

ITBS Part Two

This post is an update on my journey with Illio-tibial Band Syndrome (ITBS).
I completed my Trail run with no drama at all. It seems my regime of running, resistance training as well as ice and Voltaren gel have paid off.


7 Things I did to treat my ITBS


  1. Gait assessment and changing shoes -  I went for Gait analysis and found that I am a Supinator. As it turned out the running shoes I had been using were more suitable for overpronators.
  2. Changing my running surface - I stopped all road running took to training on the rugby field and off road on trails.
  3. Single leg resistance exerciss -  single leg squats and lunges. These single leg exercises are a great way to strengthen your leg muscles and especially your core and postural muscles. I also added calf raises and bilateral squats and lunges for good measure with progressively increasing weights off course.
  4. More strength training - I also incorporated Stairs which are great for building up endurance and general lower body strengthening whilst burning a ton of fat.
  5. Stretches - every evening with a foam roller
  6. Ice and Muscle Pain Gel - twice a day everyday for the first week or two after a flare up. This made a world of difference.

I hope I am fully healed and I can get back to my goal of running a full marathon in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment